Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Good Morning USA!!

It's 8:56 AM and Barack and Michelle Obama are casting their votes at this very moment. And there's Joe Biden and his wife and mama. This is so awesome! No doubt, they are all voting for John McCain and Sarah Palin because really--who would want the job of governing this country? Barack Obama, that's who!!

Ron, contrary to my objection, has created an over/under and invites fellow Americans to have some fun with this extremely sacred process. Here is his email to me yesterday:

As if the election on Tuesday needs any more drama...

Polls have Obama at about a 5% lead nationally. 'Toss-up' states and close races will swing the electoral count wildly. So you're hoping for (or fearing) an Obama win, and most of the pundits see it that way. But how many electoral votes will he pull in?

I'm taking 'bets' on an over/under for an Obama victory. The number: 311.

Simply 'reply to me with a simple "over" (you think Obama will win 312 or more) or "under" (Obama will win less than 311 electoral votes. I'll post everyone's over/under by Tuesday afternoon. I won't take any bets after 5pm on Tuesday. A 'push' is possible, by the way.

For the truly bold among us, you can also give me a prediction on the number of EVs Obama will get, AND/OR the swing states he'll win.

To help you with your predictions, check out NPR's interactive map. You can click on states to make them red or blue tally the votes that way. http://www.npr.org/news/specials/election2008/2008-election-map.html?ps=bb1#/president-nprOvM/

Enjoy!

Yours,

Ron

I cannot participate for fear that, as soon as I bet, Obama's chances for this thing will evaporate into thin air. (When was the last time the Dolphins came close to winning anything? Not since I've been a fan, that's for sure.) I will say this: take the over.

2 comments:

herb said...

I have to tell you that I am voting for Obama as much as I am voting against McCain.

John McCain's campaign has been poorly executed and he chose a running mate who is not a centrist and has little experience on the world stage.

While there are those who are eager for Prez Bush to leave office, he did commit substantial sums to AIDS reduction in Africa, recognized that Arafat was a corrupt thug, called Darfur genocide before any other leader dared to, peacefully de-armed Libya, and is negotiating (somewhat) successfully with North Korea.

Obama will face no less of a challenge than McCain would in running the country and protecting America's interests. I hope his approach yeilds results, but that is yet to be seen.

Economically, as a business owner, I can share with you that businesses grow when there is the prospect for profit and success. Our corporate tax structure forces businesses overseas while progressive Eastern European countries have seen tremendous economic growth moving to a low, flat tax model.

The economic reality of high government debt, unsustainable growth in entitlements, and the current deflation of assets will require some original thinking. If anything, this is what I am counting on from Obama. I'm not counting on him to take care of my retirement, substantially decrease health care costs, or lower my taxes (in the short run). We owe too much and we earn too little right now to avoid the pain that deleveraging is bringing to us right now.

When we do commit government funds, I do see value in infrastructure and education vs. tax rebates. There is also value in a consistent, predictable, and long-term tax policy.

I hope Barack understands this.

Herb

ARJensen said...

Thanks, Herb, for some insightful thoughts from a businessman who knows business (you're a Wharton boy, are you not?). And thanks for your vote--I always knew you would come around.